Ferrari, Aldo, Dr.
Dr. Aldo Ferrari
Laboratory of Thermodynamics in Emerging Technologies
ML J 27.1
Phone: +41 44 632 25 88
Fax: +41 44 632 11 76
Development of Novel Biomaterials for Medical Applications
Novel Engineered Platforms for the Study of Cancer Cell Migration
Mechanobiology: Implications for Development, Regeneration & Tissue Engineering
Energy Conversion and Transport in Biosystems
Full publication list on researcherid
Selected Publications (as corresponding author)
- S. Bottan, F. Robotti, P. Jayathissa, A. Hegglin, N. Bahamonde, J. A. Heredia-Guerrero, I. S. Bayer, A. Scarpellini, H. Merker, N. Lindenblatt, D. Poulikakos and A. Ferrari. Surface-structured bacterial cellulose with guided assembly-based biolithography. ACS Nano. 9:206 (2015).
- F. Robotti, D. Franco, L. Bänninger, J. Wyler, C. T. Starck, V. Falk, D. Poulikakos and A. Ferrari. The influence of surface micro-structure on endothelialization under supraphysiological wall shear stress. Biomaterials 35, 8479-8486(2014).
- E. Potthoff, D. Franco, V. D'Alessandro, C. Starck, V. Falk, T. Zambelli, J. A. Vorholt, D. Poulikakos, A. Ferrari. Toward a rational design of surface textures promoting endothelialization. Nano Letters 14, 1069-1079 (2014)..
- D. Franco, F. Milde, M. Klingauf, F. Orsenigo, E. Dejana, D. Poulikakos. M. Cecchini, P. Koumoutsakos, A. Ferrari*, and V. Kurtcuoglu*. Accelerated endothelial wound healing on microstructured substrates under flow. Biomaterials 34, 1488-1497 (2013).
- G. A. Sotiriou, D. Franco, D. Poulikakos, and A. Ferrari. Optically stable biocompatible nanophosphors for cell imaging. ACS Nano 6, 3888-3897 (2012).
- A. Ferrari, M. Cecchini, A. Dhawan, S. Micera, I. Tonazzini, R. Stabile, D. Pisignano, and F. Beltram. Nanotopographic control of neuronal polarity. Nano Letters 11, 505-511 (2011).
- D. Foresti, M. Nabavi, M. Klingauf, A. Ferrari, D. Poulikakos. Acoustophoretic contactless transport and handling of matter in air. PNAS (2013), doi: 10.1073/pnas.1301860110 .
- F. Orsenigo, C. Giampietro, A. Ferrari, M. Corada, A. Galaup, S. Sigismund, G. Ristagno, G. Young Koh, D. Franco, V. Kurtcuoglu, D. Poulikakos, P. Baluk, D. McDonald, M. G. Lampugnani, and E. Dejana. VE-cadherin phosphorylation in vivo is modulated by hemodynamic conditions and is not sufficient for induction of vascular permeability. Nature Communications 3:1208 (2012).
- F. Milde, D. Franco, A. Ferrari, V. Kurtcuoglu, D. Poulikakos and P. Koumoutsakos. Cell Image Velocimetry (CIV): boosting the automated quantification of cell migration in wound healing assays. Integrative Biology (2012). DOI: 10.1039/c2ib20113e
- R. Sahai, M. Cecchini, M. Klingauf, A. Ferrari, C. Martino, P. Castrataro, V. Lionetti, A. Menciassi, and F. Beltram. Microfluidic chip for spatially and temporally controlled biochemical gradient generation in standard cell-culture Petri dishes. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics 11, 763-771 (2011).
- S. Soenen, U. Himmelreich, N. Nuytten, T. Pisanic 2nd, A. Ferrari and M. De Cuyper. Intracellular nanoparticle coating stability determines nanoparticle diagnostics efficacy and cell functionality. Small 6, 2136-2145 (2010).
- M. Cecchini, A. Ferrari & F. Beltram. PC12 polarity on biopolymer nanogratings. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 100, 012003 (2008).
- M. R. Dusseiller, D. Schlaepfer, A. Ferrari, R. Kroschewski & M. Textor. Micro-3D cell culture devices for single cell analysis. 3rd IEEE/EMBS Special Topic Conference on Microtechnology in Medicine and Biology 1548476, 365-367 (2005).
Invited Conference Presentations
- Talk – “Interstitial cancer migration through microengineered obstacles” Joint IFOM-MBI Conference. Milan, Italy (2014).
- Talk – “Shaping the biological identity of implant materials: A topographical approach” eMRS Spring Meeting. Strasbourg, France (2013).
- Talk – “Endothelialization of Topographically Engineered Substrates” Chalmers University of Technology. Goteborg, Sweden (2012).
- Lecture – XVII Scuola Nazionale di Scienza dei Materiali. Bressanone, Italy (2011).
- Talk – “Cells on Patterns” Fondazione Bruno Keller. Trento, Italy (2010).
- Talk - Workshop on In Vivo Imaging, University of Milan, Milan, Italy (2009).
- Talk - “Polarity selection by nanotopography induced focal adhesion control” . European Science Foundation Conference on Biological Surfaces and Interfaces, Sant Feliu de Guixols, Spain (2009).
- Talk - “Mechanisms of epithelial cell migration and cystogenesis “ ICGEB, Trieste. Italy (2006).
- Talk - "Engineering single-molecule fluorescence dynamics for bio-molecular
applications" ICTP-INFM Conference on "New Frontiers in Nano-Biotechnology: Monitoring Protein Function with Single-Protein Resolution" - The Abdus Salam International Centre For Theoretical Physics. Trieste, Italy (2003).
- Method for producing self-assembled production of topographically surface structured cellulose element for use as pouch for e.g. wound healing, involves placing mold to form liquid/air interface to contact with liquid growth medium. WO2015040106-A1, (2015).
- Small-diameter tubular artificial vascular graft for treating e.g. coronary and peripheral vascular diseases, of patient during cardiac surgery, has primary scaffold structure and inner surface coating formed with set of grooves. WO2015040139-A1, (2015).
- Active surface element for improved healing of cell layer lesions comprises topographically structured surface(s) on substrate, with pattern of ridges and grooves with specific pattern period and specific pattern length. WO2013091790-A1 ; EP2793772-A1 ; US2015038892-A1 ; JP2015506734-W, (2013).
- Implant, preferably stent, more preferably drug eluting stent, comprises surface layer having topographic modification including line pattern with ridge and groove. EP2422827-A2; US2012053677-A1; EP2422827-A3; US9138512-B2, (2012).
- New mutant of GFP fluorescent protein with controllable optical configuration. IT1320791-B, (2003).